Anyone paying half-attention to the creative side of bass music right now assuredly knows that 160 bpm is the current magic number, the happy medium between dubstep’s 140 and drum and bass’ 174 that has been ruling the Chicago area for years via juke and footwork.
Indelibly a part of this movement that now extends to the world at large is the late DJ Rashad, who will be two-years passed this upcoming April. In tribute to his legacy, Teklife’s first release as a record label is appropriately titled Afterlife, a full-length posthumous compilation of Rashad’s best unreleased collaborations with the likes of Spinn, Taso, Gant-Man, Manny, Phil, Earl, Taye, Tripletrain, Traxman, and Boylan.
While the comp drops on 8th April, friends of Teklife Microglobe and Machinedrum have teamed up to break off a teaser called “High On Hope,” an ultra-tough and varied juke record that is begging to start battles all over the globe. You can bet you’ll be hearing this one on repeat at this year’s SXSW. As perfect a tribute to Rashad’s influence as you can get, “High On Hope,” hits absurdly hard without dropping the musicality that often sets Teklife productions above the rest.
Afterlife, forthcoming 8th April, 2016 on Teklife Records
1. ROLL UP THAT LOUD – DJ RASHAD X DJ SPINN X TASO
2. GET FUK’D UP – DJ RASHAD X GANT-MAN
3. LET’S ROLL OUT – DJ RASHAD X DJ MANNY X DJ SPINN
4. COME CLOSE – DJ RASHAD X DJ PHIL
5. WEAR HER PUSSY OUT – DJ RASHAD X DJ EARL
6. OH GOD – DJ RASHAD X DJ SPINN
7. RATCHET CITY – DJ RASHAD X GANT-MAN X DJ MANNY
8. GET YOU BURNT – DJ RASHAD X DJ TAYE
9. PASS THAT – DJ RASHAD X TRIPLETRAIN X DJ SPINN
10. TONY MONTANA – DJ RASHAD X BOYLAN X DJ MANNY
11. YEAH WE DO THIS – DJ RASHAD X DJ TRE
12. LOST WORLDS – DJ RASHAD X TRAXMAN
13. DO U WANNA B MINE – DJ RASHAD X DJ SPINN X DJ PAYPAL (RSP)
14. ROLL A TREE – DJ RASHAD X DJ MANNY